My Great Grandfather Maurice”

I interviewed my dad about my Great Grandfather Maurice. Here is what he said:

“My Grandfather Maurice, or Maurie as he like to be called, had a very difficult childhood.  He had to walk twenty miles through the snow each morning to go to school and when he got home his mother used to turn him upside down and shake him violently to see if he had any loose change in his pockets.  Despite all this, he finished school, went to college, and ran a successful furniture business which helped  pay for my father, Bert, to attend Law School.  My grandfather, who lived through two world wars and the Great Depression, was very tough and once fought off two thieves who were trying to rob his store at gunpoint with nothing more than a stool.  He loved his three sons and all of his grandchildren and his favorite pastime was to get together with the whole family, cook a big meal, and then play gin rummy into the wee hours of the night.  He passed away when I was fourteen years old but not a day goes by when I don’t think about him and miss his company.” 53-227(607)Creative Commons License FDR Presidential Library & Museum via Compfight

0 comments on “My Great Grandfather Maurice”Add yours →